Monday, October 12, 2015

Don't Shove Your Politics Down My Throat.

We live in a very opinionated world. With many differing opinions, Especially about politics.

As I scroll through my Facebook, or Twitter, or even my Instagram I see endless political agendas, coming from all side of the spectrum. Republicans, Democrats, The Tea Party, The Green Party. All telling me what to think, what to do, what to say or who to vote for.

Right now all I have to say is Don't shove your politics down my throat.

now where does that phrase come from?

Let us take a quick look at the importance of it for me. I am a Christian, more specifically a Mormon. Now did something like that phrase above just pop into your head? Its one I get all the time, people tell me quite frequently to not shove my religion down their throats.

But digging even deeper why do I hear that phrase?

It seems that in our world today the mention of religion is offensive. If I mention my religion or even the name of Jesus Christ in a reverent manner people tell me to stop.

but why?

I am not telling them to do anything, I am not trying to change what they think, or do, or say, or who to believe in. I'm barely even stating something that I believe, most things I mention about Jesus Christ are not just Mormon subliminal images but things that uplift all people who believe in Christ, to feel better, and occasionally helping those who do not share that believe. Thats helping almost 2 billion people in the world at a time (2.2 billion Christians (32 percent of the world’s population).)

Now how is that any worse than politics?

As mentioned I see a LOT of political posts. Probably averaging about 5-15 a day, depending on how much time I spend online.

And I will admit sometimes I linger into these links or posts and read others opinions. Normally written to tear down others believes or change their view on something.

How is that good for anyone?

I know I am not the only one who after reading something political can feel upset, angry, sometimes even just disgusted by what was said. Sometimes even if I agree with the party or candidate.

I am not trying to offend anyone with this, but maybe we should feel just a propelled to keep our political opinions to ourselves as we are our religious ones.

or if you are fine trying to share your political beliefs maybe we should be fine with others sharing something about their religious ones.

I normally do not speak of politics for this reason. Not because I do not care, not because I'm not interested but because I want everyone to be able to feel good about themselves, their opinions and their believes. And I hope everyone can begin to do the same.

We dont want to live in a world of hate and offence do we?

I love you all,
Kirstin Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment