Monday, December 29, 2014

The New Year

Week Forty-eight!

Well a lot of things have been on my mind these last days.  I don’t really know what to think.  As the end of the year is coming I have been thinking about how long it has really been.  How much I have loved this year, it is one of the most beautiful that I have seen, not just because I am in a beautiful place but because of all the things that have happened.

I feel like my 2014 has been the type of year I have been waiting for, the type of year everyone hopes to have.  I was thinking about the New Year’s resolutions that people make.  And in my personal view one of the most common is, “Enjoy Life to the Fullest.”

This year I have really gotten to do that, but not only enjoy my life to the fullest, but also develop the attributes so that I can enjoy all of the rest of the years.  Maybe it won’t be as golden as this year, because maybe returning to Peru one day is only a dream right now.  Seeing all of these people that have changed my life for the better will only happen through Skype, but that is part of enjoying life.

So maybe our goal should be a little more specific this year, because yeah we assume that it all begins with us, but we need the little goals to show that, so here are my tips on how to enjoy life to the fullest…

1. Talk to people.  People won’t judge you if you just talk to them like a human being, and more than likely you can change their whole day around. Just ask them how they are, or make a joke about something happening, like with the weather. It can seriously change around a whole day.

2. Everything has a bright side. Even when everything seems really hard, we can always look to the words of Joseph Smith when he says " En cuanto a los peligros por los que se me requiere pasar, me parecen cosa pequeña, ya que la envidia y la ira del hombre han sido mi suerte común en todos los días de mi vida; y la razón me es un misterio, a no ser que desde antes de fundarse el mundo yo fuera ordenado para algún fin bueno o malo, como queráis llamarlo. Juzgad por vosotros mismos. Dios conoce todas estas cosas, si son buenas o malas. No obstante, suelo nadar en aguas profundas. Todo esto ha llegado a ser lo más natural para mí y, como Pablo, siento deseos de gloriarme en la tribulación, porque hasta hoy el Dios de mis padres me ha librado de todo ello, y de aquí en adelante me librará; pues he aquí, triunfaré de todos mis enemigos, porque el Señor Dios lo ha dicho." (Doctrine & Covenants 127:2)  (And as for the perils which I am called to pass through, they seem but a small thing to me, as the envy and wrath of man have been my common lot all the days of my life; and for what cause it seems mysterious, unless I was ordained from before the foundation of the world for some good end, or bad, as you may choose to call it. Judge ye for yourselves. God knoweth all these things, whether it be good or bad. But nevertheless, deep water is what I am wont to swim in. It all has become a second nature to me; and I feel, like Paul, to glory in tribulation; for to this day has the God of my fathers delivered me out of them all, and will deliver me from henceforth; for behold, and lo, I shall triumph over all my enemies, for the Lord God hath spoken it.)

3. Everything can be memorable- Make it so. I can remember a member who is an old man and was angry for like 3 seconds, and said he was never going to church again.  We were upset and a little frustrated because he was so stubborn, but we knew that he was going to forget it and be in church that next Sunday. And we knew because on the radio to his store Big Time Rush was playing. And we just smiled and knew it was a little comfort from God that everything would be okay.

So maybe you can apply these things this year. To find a more enjoyable life, and if you ever feel like it is too much, you can always turn to the Gospel, dedicate yourself to Prayer and Scripture Study to find the joy that God gives us.

Les Quiero Mucho
Prospero Año,

Hermana Peters

No comments:

Post a Comment